STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
Windows at the High Altar
The stained glass windows are not of high quality and are chiefly interesting as memorials.
“To the glory of God and in memory of all who served in her”
There is a window on the North side of the Church commemorating the valiant services of HMS HAVANT (H32) at Dunkirk, 1940.
The Robert Grant Window
There is a memorial window by the North door to Robert George Grant in recognition of 25 years as Chairman of the Fabric Committee of St. Faith’s Church.
Robert Grant was a local Chartered Surveyor who lived in the Parish for over 50 years and spent a considerable time arranging and instructing the repairs and maintenance of the Church, Church House and the Church Hall.
The window has been designed to encompass aspects of his work for the buildings and as a surveyor. In addition to the buildings, the red striped staff signifies the Fellowship of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors as their symbol and at the bottom of the window are a ruler (scale) and tape measure, being the tools of the trade.
The window uses many glass types from England and Europe incorporating both modern and traditional methods. The Church and Church House were photographed, scanned on the computer and then etched, shot blasted onto the glass then fired at very high temperatures. The window has been put together with the traditional method of leading with copper ties and glazing bars and faced externally with modern polycarbonate glass to resist vandalism.
The window was designed and manufactured by Venessa Cutler, a local designer and stained glass artist who was a lecturer in 1999 at Wolverhampton University, which is recognised as one of the leading universities in glass design and technology.
The Nias Memorial Window
The window was installed in 1992 at the West end of the church in memory of Christopher Nias, son of Fr. and Jaffrey Nias, who died at the age of 35.
The Latin is “Pray for Us”. Saint Bernadette is relevant as she was sick throughout her life and also died at the age of 35.
Dr. Gedge Memorial Window
The window was installed at the West end of the church in memory of Dr. Arthur Johnson Gedge who died 15 August 1927 aged 63 years by grateful patients and friends. His wife Gertrude lived in “The Limes” East Street until her death in 1957 aged 84 years. St. Luke who was a physician is very appropriate.